- Develop and implement digital repository infrastructure (technology, staffing, etc.)
- Develop and implement digital repository ingest requirements.
- Develop best practices and workflows for the program.
- Set clear goals for digitizing collections to meet donor expectations.
Project Linked to the Following Strategic Objectives
- #1: Integrate the Library into the University's Teaching, Learning and Research Mission
- #2: Improve Discovery of and Access to Scholarly Resources
- Wade Wyckoff (community lead)
- Rick Stapleton (Research Collections)
- Dale Askey
- John Fink (IT infrastructure)
- Kathy Ball (assessment)
- Marlene Mastragostino (budget)
Project Scope (work the project will include and not include)
- focus on strategic approach to content rather than on technical aspects of digitization.
Project Risks (circumstances or events outside the project team's control that will have a high adverse impact on the project if they occur)
- Could recommend developments without adequate funding to support them
Obstacles / Constraints (known constraints imposed by environment, management, etc.)
- Equipment: Need large-scale scanning equipment to support some specialized content (e.g., maps)
- Staffing: Getting sufficient access to equipment in support of library digitization work.
Critical Milestones / Achievements (2011- ) Proposed Dates
- Create guidelines for evaluating proposed digitization projects (Summer 2011)
- Determine workflows (Summer 2011)
- Present proposed digitization philosophy statement to Library Leadership Group (June 2011)
- Conduct digitization / preservation workshop (June 2011)
- Create a marketing and communication plan for McMaster digital collections (Feb. / Mar. 2012)
- Create a process for the McMaster community to suggest digitization targets (2012)
- Create a webpage for McMaster community members to request "digitization on demand" (2012)
Preliminary Assessment Plan (what quantitative or qualitative tools will you use to determine if you are successful?)
- number of requests coming in through the "digitize on demand" webpage
- number of suggestions coming in from library and community re digitization priorities
- establishment of priorities for future digitization
- creation of a marketing plan