This error may occur when attempting to connect to the Internet via a PPPoE (Point-To-Point Protocol over Ethernet) connection, a connection type often used with DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) Internet connections, as a result of a disabled network card.
- From the Desktop, right-click My Computer and choose Properties.
- Click the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
- Once the list populates, use the plus sign (+) beside Network Adapters to expand that branch of the navigation tree.
- Find your network card, which will probably have a yellow exclamation mark beside it. Double-click the network card and choose Use This Device (Enable) from the Device Usage drop-down list.
- Click OK, close the Device Manager, and try your PPPoE connection again.
Microsoft has a similar resolution at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316395&Product=winxp