Records of the Diocese and Individual Churches
A list of the churches in the Diocese, maps, contact information and links to the Fonds and Finding Aids.
Maps of the Diocese of Niagara
Includes historical maps and links.
List of Individual Churches With Records Pre-dating 1869
Records from churches dated earlier than 1869.
List of Clergy (pre-1991)
A list of past bishops and clergy.
In 1975 McMaster University reached an agreement with the Anglican Diocese of Niagara to collect, describe and preserve the records of the churches in the diocese as well as the non-active diocesan records. Since that time the records of almost all of the churches in the diocese have been deposited at McMaster, amounting to more than 100 parishes. The Diocese covers approximately 3,320 square miles in the province of Ontario. The most northerly towns are Harriston and Mount Forest; the western boundary is Nanticoke; the eastern perimeter is marked by Oakville and the Diocese extends southwards to Fort Erie.
These records, which have been described by type of record and date, but are not indexed by personal name, are of particular value for genealogical research. The Diocese of Niagara was established in 1875.
The records are on deposit only and remain the property of the Anglican Church. Finding aids for all the churches whose records are at McMaster are contained on this Web site and are also available for consultation in the Reading Room. Researchers who visit McMaster will be asked to consult the material on microfilm since many of the original registers are fragile. An application, specifying the purpose for which access is requested, must be completed before the records can be consulted.
Researchers who are unable to visit in person may wish to contact individual churches directly since each rector has been provided with copies of all of the statistical registers (baptisms, confirmations, marriage, burials). Alternatively, the staff of the Division are prepared to verify particular events but we must be provided with the name of the church and the approximate date of the ceremony. Unfortunately, we are unable to undertake genealogical research; those requiring such assistance may wish to contact the Hamilton Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society.
Ontario Genealogical Society
Post Office Box 904, Station A,
Further information concerning Anglican Records:
The Diocese of Niagara Synod Office
Archdeacon John Rathbone, Archivist
The Anglican Church Of Canada
|The Diocese of Algoma
P.O. Box 1168
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
|The Diocese of Huron
190 Queens Avenue
|The Diocese of Moosonee
|The Diocese of Ontario
90 Johnson Street
|The Diocese of Ottawa
71 Bronson Avenue
|The Diocese of Toronto
135 Adelaide Street East
For further information concerning Anglican records in Ontario, see Guide to the Holdings of the Archives of the Ecclesiatical Province of Ontario (Agincourt, On.; Generation Press Inc., 1990)
Researchers should also be aware of the Gladys McAndrew fonds which relates to missionary work and residential schools undertaken by the Anglican Church in Canada from 1943 to 1954.